Re: [RC] Washoe Valley 50/25 Results - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

I'm telling you ... these ladies are THE most organized RMs I've ever seen!
The ride package they handed out was like an encyclopedia of sponsors,
prices and time schedules. Kudos to this great management team for getting
all the team prizes (what a great plus) and just generally working like
crazy. And a BIG thanks to all the sponsors for the wonderful team prizes!!

I've been so dad-blasted busy with my magazine deadline, which has a new
owner and a new designer, both of which are driving me CRAZY, that I haven't
had a chance to say anything or get my pictures up.

It was a wonderful ride, the weather was spectacular and although it wasn't
my best ride, I had a good time. I say it wasn't my best ride becaues I
worried about my horse a tad.

I decided before I went in that since I didn't have another ride scheduled
until the end of the month at Wild West that I would see what Tank had "in
the tank," so to speak and disgress from my usual slow pace and try to step
it up a little. And Tank has a pretty good base on him already this year
having done 305 miles. The idea was to ride with my faster friends for the
first
loop and see how he did. Nothing too terribly ambitious like Top Ten or
anything! If he got too tired, I'd walk the entire second loop.

We did the first loop in 3:15 minutes. Tank kept up with The Big Boys
honorably and just about did me in, blister-wise, trying to hold him back.
He was happy and full of it. However, he didn't really eat his lunch. Dead
giveaway for me that I let
him go too fast.

Going out on the second loop he kept turning his head back at me, peeking at
me out of the corner of his eyes, asking "Do we REALLY have to be doing
this? I think we went far enough!" At the 5-mile water tank, I told Abe and
Sharon we were parting ways and they should go on alone. Tank didn't even
care that they left. But then he never does care who leaves, who comes, who
passes. I kinda like that in a horse. :)

So up the hill we went at a walk ... Tank stopping every once in awhile,
looking wistfully back at camp. He got over that a couple of miles later and
took off at a nice little jog trot. We alternated between that and a walk
for the majority of loop two. We spent lots of time at the water stop with
those WONDERFUL volunteers who greeted us like we were royalty when we
arrived, with ice tea, lemonade, cookies and cheese-its, telling how
thrilled they were that we chose to come to their water stop. They couldn't
have been more accommodating if they'd had a white napkin folded over their
forearm.

The last 15-minute stop before our final 5-mile (or whatever) loop out on
the beach found Tank with not the best CRI results. Dr. Susan said Tank's
tank was out of gas and I agreed. She suggested I stick around for another
30 minutes past my hold time and then head out. It was what I'd decided
anyway. I still had eons of time after that fast first loop.

Off we went for our final walk on the beach. Talk about looking wistfully
back at camp. Tank was starting to make me really feel bad. Then Carol
Stiles
came along on Beau and Tank turned on the power walk all the way back to
camp. A half hour after we completed I took him back for his final check and
he finished 48/48 with an overall B+. He ate everything he could get his
teeth on and I didn't feel so bad anymore.

But I did learn something from my test. I already knew my horse's
capabilities. And they're just fine and dandy by me. Tank's previous owner's
famous quote "Can't take pictures when you're riding that fast, even with
hi-speed film," is absolutely true. Besides which, I'm still pretty out
of shape and I was trashed at the lunch break and not having very much fun.
But it was a good experience for me. I've always wanted to see how fast Abe
and Sharon ride to finish in the 20's. I'm going back to picture-taking
speed!

:) Jackie and Tank