[RC] [RC] REAL Endurance riders AKA Survivor's Trek - Jonni Jewell - oddfarm

Well Jonni, I liked most of what the ride manager wrote. Wish I could have been there. However, I do believe more than a few "fake" endurance riders might be offended by the statement,

 "So few real endurance riders showed up for this ride of 50 miles per day..."

I myself, am not sure if I am a fake or real endurance rider. I started in LD, have done a few 50's and will attempt many more. I will always do LD's but love the 50's and really hope to do 100's as well as multi-days.

I am searching for myself, have you seen me anywhere??

I would love to do a ride on "real" terrain. I guess Florida is not considered "real" endurance land but we do have the heat and humidity, along with rain, lightning, sand, bugs and the occasional wildlife, like rattlesnakes and alligators. But the rest of our regions have mountains and rivers and diverse weather. Doesn't that count? And we are still expected to take care of ourselves and our horses out on the trail. I guess it is a luxury to have a crew and crew area. But I doubt many of us would quit riding if we didn't have that luxury.

I wouldn't mind if rides were still like they were "way back when" except we wouldn't want anything else to be that far behind. But the statement of,

"but we understand that there aren't very many Old Warriors and horse Trekkers left out there who can ride the distance, party around the campfire, and ride again the next day." ,

just isn't true. Ask my husband about his drunk girl story... 'cause I don't remember
{;-O NO!   but I did get up and ride.  Yeaah,baby.

And to write,

" As the sport pursues points, mileage, fame, and
growth, and sanctions rides every weekend during spring and fall and
few if any in summer and winter,  some crazy  managers might just try
to continue providing some real endurance rides, even if they represent
a terrific financial loss each time."

As if to imply no other RM's can provide a "real" ride without worrying about financial loss. We can only do the best we can, with what we have to work with. Or, we can not do it at all. All RM's who make a ton of money off a ride, say "ME!".

 Was that a pin dropping?

But I have to draw the line at not having enough room for big rigs. I camped for 8 years in a tent, in a trailer, in the rain, in the heat, and in pain. Me and my crew, (my family) have earned the right to sleep in the B.A.T. Clean and nice and comfy. If I ride a horse all day in SE conditions, (hot and humid) and my crew crews for me all day in the same conditions, then by golly, we had better have a hot shower and nice beds to sleep in or we will all kill each other before we get home. John commented the first time we returned from our maiden voyage with the B.A.T., "Man, you all look so much more pleasant." Then he took a whiff in the truck and said, " You smell even better!" He said we were pretty wicked when we returned after a ride involving tent camping.

I think each and everyone of us strives to be "real" endurance riders, no matter WHAT anybody else thinks. I am sure all RM's do their best to put on a "real" endurance ride. I know the satisfaction of riding your horse down the trail, finishing fit to continue, spending time with your family and friends and having a great time is real.

The real secret of success is enthusiasm. - Walter Chrysler

Lisa Salas, Teh Odd fArm  For real.