[RC] hauling mare and foal - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Susan Schomburg sschomburg or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

The foal will lay down and sleep most of the trip. I hauled an orphaned foal
who was 3 months old with a surrogate mare more than 600 miles the day after
his mother died. They were fine. Stop so the mare can nurse him and rest. I
don't know how big your 2 horse is but you'll want to make sure that the baby
can lay down. If it is a slant load, you can even leave the divider in as long
as she can see him and touch him. If you can't do this you might consider
borrowing a trailer. Where in Wyoming are you coming from?

Susan

you teach a horse all the "tools" and "cues" he needs
to handle the trail, to hold a speed, deal with hills, etc. It's also where
you develop the "bond" that causes him to "defer" to you before losing his
cool.
~ Jim Holland