RE: [RC] [RC] BC's on 25's - Deanna German

Carol, I had the pleasure last year of seeing an LD horse whose rider had
been riding her own ride, unconcerned about anything other than the welfare
of her own horse -- take BC on an LD. I was riding the regional and club CTR
and saw her out on trail, even rode with her for a bit -- horse looked GOOD.

This horse came in last with a ride time of 4:20. (Small entry, probably due
to the CTR that was being run concurrently.) The horse that was first to
finish did it in 2:50. So many horses had been pulled at the vet check or at
the finish that the BC horse moved up to top 5. AERC endurance BC rules were
used to the best of my knowledge to judge the top 5 for BC. (Cracked OAATS
Crunch, NE Region, Sept 2003.)

Yeah, I think it speaks volumes that this horse took BC. The ones who were
out to top 5 or "win" got what? Either pulled or subdued, polite clapping
when their names were announced. But a cheer went up when the BC was
announced. Everyone in camp is always happy to see horses looking good at
the end, no matter what the distance.

I think this is pretty cool and what BC is supposed to be about. I have a
hard time figuring out what could possibly be wrong with the concept if
applied correctly. As in, don't award it if the top horses *all* look like
crap. Same as for endurance.

:-)

Deanna

Carol wrote:
snip< if ?riders?were awarded BC awards on 25's , then it seems like?AERC
is??encouraging??them to go faster ( in order?to get a BC award for coming in
top ten).? Personally, I think?whomever suggested this?is just trying to boost
their number of LD riders, i.e., ?revenues, ?by doing this. What other
explanation is possible?

your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards