Re: [RC] white line disease - Milinda Ellis

I have a HUGE Walker mare who had white line.  My
farrier recommended similar treatement.  He also said
you could squirt the bleach/water mixture (heavier on
the bleach, lighter on the water) up into the area of
separation using a syringe (without needle, of
course).  We live on dry sugar sand...

That combined with good trimming, rolling the hoof
wall to help prevent the wall from increasing
separation, is what got us through.  I foxhunt this
mare, along with trail riding, and she's normally
barefoot.  We might have even done well at Meanwhile,
Back at the Ranch if I could have gotten my pacing
right...  Duh...

Milinda Ellis
Beargrass Cleveland Bays
Jewett, Texas

--- Susan_Bothern <sbothern@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Alright not an endurance question, but definitely a
horse health issue:

Boarder's mare has been having problems with her
right front hoof cracking, lost almost all her toe.
Farrier came out 3 weeks ago and put shoes on front.
 She's been stalled except when ground has been dry.
 Noticed Sunday pm that Shasta had lost almost all
her toe on her right hind.  Shoot!  Farrier came out
today and said he thought she had white line
disease, but he had never seen a case (just out of
farrier school).  Had owner call her vet, who said
without looking that it had to be white line disease
and to just resection all 4 hooves.  Farrier was
upset and said he didn't want to do that yet.  Left
instructions for owner to soak Shasta's feet in a
mixture of clorox and water every other day, and
then he'll be out at end of week.  OK, been a while
since I've dealt with white line disease.  From what
I see it's questionable to me whether this is the
correct diagnosis.  Soles are hard, firm, and in
good shape.  Frogs are nice and supple, but not
mushy.  No trust.  No odor.  Got any ideas?  For
those of you with white line experience what did you
do for treatment.  How long was it before you saw
any difference?

Susan B.