Re: [RC] white line disease - jaynes

Hi - newbie! :) my farrier cringes everytime someone reccomends bleach
solution as a cure- he says it dries out the hoof terribly and you can cause
more damage than good. The hooflex is definatly the way to go- i've heard of
that working also. I just had to speak up when i heard "bleach!"

jen & sugar

Quoting Jim Holland <lanconn@xxxxxxx>:

Ahem......Certainly good hoof care is part of prevention....but it's a LOT
more complex than that. No matter HOW good your hoof care, your horse can
have this problem.  His living environment is also contributory.  Barefoot
horses also have White Line.....in about the same numbers as shod
horses.....and I have seen NO studies that indicate it is caused by "damaged
laminae".

Look here:

http://www.horses-and-horse-information.com/articles/0197hoof.shtml

and here:

http://www.lesspub.com/cgi-bin/site.pl?
433&cgBoard_boardID=1&cgThread_threadID=16430&cgTopic_topicID=96

for help and suggestions.

I fought this problem on Sunny for years for several years.  I have an
EXCELLLENT farrier with many years experience and I am "short course" farrier
trained.  Some horses seem to be more susceptible than others.  EVERYTHING
grows on Sunny. He ALWAYS had a little hole cut out in one or the other of
his front feet at EVERY shoeing.  Removing his shoes in front had no impact
on the problem, but it does make easier to treat. You can have several horses
in the same pasture and some will have White Line and some won't....some with
shoes, some without.  In it's initial stages, you will see it in the very
front of the hoof and it's sometimes called "Seedy Toe".

First, you MUST resection the infected area back to clean hoof
wall......Ehite Line dies on contact with air.  If you don't, it will simply
continue to grow up into the hoof.  It can cause laminitis and coffin bone
rotation in extreme cases.

White Line is not a fungus like Thrush, but appears to be a symbiotic
relationship between several types of bacteria.  Treatment that works well on
one horse may not work as well on another.

Sunny has been White Line free for over a year now.  After trying every
remedy known for this, we started using Merthiolate and "Hooflex Thrush
Remedy".
(http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_product_group.html?cguid=30E08168-7B6A-11D5-
A192-00B0D0204AE5)

Hooflex is slightly oily, which makes it cling to the hoof better than other
stuff I tried.  At each shoeing, just before the shoe was put on, we coated
the clean, trimmed hoof wall (and any resection area) with Merthiolate.  I
then cleaned his feet daily, using my air compressor to blow out anything
between the shoe and hoof.  Using a hypodermic needle, I injected Hooflex as
far up between the shoe and the foot as I could reach and coated the
resection area and the outer hoof wall from the nail holes down. Use a
horseshoe nail to pick around in the resection area to remove any debris
accumulation. KEEP IT OPEN!

I still treat with Merthiolate at each shoeing and with Hooflex a couple of
times a week.....no White Line for over a year.  STAY ON THIS STUFF!  It will
destroy his feet if you don't do something about it.

Jim, Sun of Dimanche+, and Mahada Magic