[RC] White Line disease - Julie Fuller

Susan,

Don't give up just yet.

I got a gelding a couple years ago because the owners were told by their farrier that he had "white line disease" and would need vet care and hoof resections. They opted to give the horse away. (He'd just been standing around for nearly 7 years.... they got him, and decided he was too much for them)

I brought Tai home, thrilled to death with this gorgeous bay Arabian gelding... especially for free!!! Called the shoer, told him what I'd been told. He came out, looked at his feet, and congratulated me on a great find.

Tai had some nasty crumbling, blackish rotten spots in the white line of his left front...pretty much from the toe to nearly his heel. He had the same in both back feet... both outside near the heel. He's got a mild front clubfoot, which had a pretty bad crack in it from the "dishing" of the hoof wall.

He wasn't lame on any of his feet. He'd been well fed, and well cared for. Stalled most of the time, limited turn-out on a few acres.

So, here's what I did.

I turned him out on 9 acres of pasture, 24/7. I put regular steel shoes on him. I fed him well, rode him (not a lot, but not because of his feet... I'd just moved and had a lot of stuff going on) and let him run with the other horses. I put what I call "special sauce" on his feet.... not religiously, but quite a bit.

Today there is no evidence whatsoever of "white line disease" (if that's what it was.... my farrier says there's no such thing.) Even the crack is gone. HIs feet grow very upright, he's got beautiful cuppy soles, thick walls and has been barefoot for the past several months (again, has nothing to do with his feet... money is very tight)

My special sauce is :

1 part formaldehyde
1 part 7% iodine
1 part venice turpentine

A brush works best, but a squirt bottle... (like dish soap or shampoo) works too. Use chemical resistance gloves... this stuff is nasty. But it toughens feet, and kills everything that ever thought of getting on a horses foot.

There is a product out... I think it's called Iron Hoof. And I'm pretty sure it's got the same stuff in it. I smelled it one time, and it sure smelled the same. Anyone know what I'm talking about? Comes is a spray bottle, and costs about $18 a pint. (My version is cheaper) *grin*

So... there you have it. It worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Julie

People in Alabama swear by manure tea as an herbal remedy for colds.
~ Lisa Redmond