Re: [RC] Heat and Conditioning - RDCARRIE

If we didn't ride/condition in the heat here in Texas, we'd have to sit out
half the year.  Just start out slowly and add mile/distance as your horse
adapts to the heat.  You'll notice an increasingly visible network of blood
vessels under the skin as the horse adapts - the horse's body is adapting so as
to dump more heat.  At rides, adapt your pace to the conditions, and realize
that your horse may take longer to pulse down if it's humid as well as hot.
Sponge whenever you can, and wipe the water off.

As for elytes, I don't generally elyte on training rides - I figure my horse
needs to adapt to working under slight elyte deficiences, and he can replenish
any losses during the time between conditioning rides.  I do elyte at events,
however, and will increase the amounts I give/frequency as the heat/humidity
increases.  Our horses have access to free-choice salt around the clock at
home, and they make pretty heavy use of it, esp. during the hot part of the
year. My horse handles rides in the heat a lot better than I do.

Dawn in East Texas
REAL endurance is your water freezing IN the cantle bags!
~ Heidi Sowards