Re: [RC] Heat and conditioning - heidi

It seems risky to me to electrolyte at a ride for the first time?  My
mare  has a salt block and I add table salt to her mash.  She will not
eat the mineral  block or her mash if I add mineral salt.  Maybe I
should try a different  brand?

I agree that one shouldn't be elyting for the first time at a ride.  But
the horse should be conditioned to what he is going to do, and shouldn't
be going all-out at his first rides anyway, so unless a horse has shown me
at home that he needs lytes, I won't add them at rides, either.  If he
starts hitting the wall at slower "early career" rides, then that means
the program needs to be re-evaluated.  And if that is the case, THEN I'd
start experimenting with him at home to see what works before his NEXT
ride.

I'm going to horse camp this week, to see if her training extends to
strange  places :0) was thinking I could try them out there.  I won't be
riding hard  though, will be going with my trainer who feels more at
home in the arena.

You may well put her off feed by trying new elytes there--and if you won't
be working that hard anyway, why would she need them?  Do what works for
her at home.

Heidi

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher