Re: [RC] Message in Two Parts -Second Post on AERC LD BC - PleaseRead - Truman Prevatt

Bottom line any RM can award a "BC" however they chose - for ANY distance. They can only allow horses with purple forelocks and orange mains to stand - that's what the Tevis does. No it doesn't use this exact criteria but it awards it's own BC based on it's own criteria and it is perfectly legal under the AERC rules. The ability to do that is not being challenged.

Neither rule (LD or endurance ) for BC has the word "shall" which carries more legal weight than either "may" or "will" in dicitating what must be done. In any case the wording after the first sentence lets RM's off the hook because it says a BC does not have to be given according to the AERC specifications - the only penelty is if it is not given according to the AERC specifications it won't count with the AERC. That is also ture with the current LD BC rule.

If a RM tell says they are cutting out the LD because of an AERC rule change - they are either lying and playing politics at the expense of the riders or have no understanding of what the rules now say. In reality there is no difference between the curren LD BC rule and the endurance BC rule - so why have two?

If it causes some "RM's to drop LD's" that will be self correcting since a) they will lose revenue in doing so and b) they run the risk of someone else starting a new ride and picking up the disenfranchised riders along with others. So I don't see that as a long term problem. Simple economic forces will correct that problem.

Truman