[RC] ...anyone can take any horse and do 25 miles in 6 hours..... - Ed Kilpatrick

well, maybe a better way to say it would be, most anyone could take most any horse that is in basically good physical and mental condition and complete 25 miles in 6 hours.
i have done it with several horses that were just used for pleasure trail riding, but were in pretty good shape.  i dont think that anyone is implying that someone should take a horse out of the pasture that hasnt been ridden in a year, and go out there and ride that horse 25 miles.  i guess the closest i came to doing that was riding a 15 year old paso fino stallion in a 2 day 40 mile ctr.  he was my third string quarterback.  the ride was scheduled, the horse i was supposed to ride got kicked in the hip and was limping.  my backup horse was running and playing after a rainstorm, slipped in the mud and went spread eagle, pulling a muscle.  my wife said, well what now?  i told her, no problem, i will just ride the "old man".  he runs the fence lines enough to stay in pretty good shape.
so, we did.  he finished the ride with no problems at all.   so, one thing that is very important in all of this is, you have to know your horse and have a reasonable idea of what that horse can do.      ed