Re: [RC] cruppers - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...grab them under the tail when they go into a different gait..."

It is just a training issue.  I posted a month ago my system which is:

1. Put the crupper on.
2. Lounge the horse with it, until it no longer reacts.  This takes 0-2
sessions.
3. Jerk on the crupper from the ground until the horse no longer reacts.
This takes 1-10 minutes.
4. Half mount and jerk on crupper until horse no longer reacts.  (0-10
minutes)
5. Mount and jerk on crupper. (1 or 2 sessions)
6. Mount, walk and jerk on crupper. (1 session).

This is basic "natural horsemanship" of introducing the new feeling
gradually, in a safe manner.  Most of my horses have required 1 or 2
sessions.  A real reactive horse may take a few more.

I adjust them so that they are almost tight when the saddle is in the proper
place.  They probably tighten with strides at a lope, but the horse doesn't
care.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is
noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience,
which is the bitterest.
~  Confucius