[RC] insulating/anything better than air mattress - Julie Fuller

Hey guys,

Another suggestion: When we camp, we sleep in the tent, and we take the mattress from the hide-a-bed sofa with us. It's about 4 inches thick, like a futon mattress. I made a cover for it. It folds up in thirds, which fits perfectly in the back part of our supercab truck for getting it to ridecamp.

We have a double sleeping bag, and I bought a couple of those cheapie fleece sleeping bag liners that we zip together and use inside. Not nescesarrily for the extra warmth, but because I hate cleaning sleeping bags! I just pull out the liner and wash it. Viola! Clean bag for the next trip!

And for you coffee drinkiers denying yourselves before rides: Get up earlier, make yourself a pot of coffee on the propane heater, and drink it! If you get up early enough, all the peeing is done before you get on your horse. And, you'll get visited by everyone who smells your coffee. I bought an ENORMOUS coffee pot for just this reason. (Actually, I just enjoy banging on the coffee pot to settle the grounds at 4:30 in the morning) *grin* I bring creamer and sugar too, and have extra cups. I have had some interesting morning conversations while getting my caffeine fix at rides.

There are just some things about my morning routine I refuse to change because I am camping. I'm spoiled, and intend to stay that way!

Julie

We are talking about all the tools we can use to keep our horses safe and
alive at the rides. Training/conditioning is one of the best tools
available. It makes us better horseman and women, it benefits our horses
and could quite possibly be the key to preventing most crashes.
~ Lisa Salas - The Odd Farm