[RC] Long rider (Gene Glasscock) report - Jonni Jewell

Spent the day visiting and helping Gene Glasscock, a "Long Rider" who is
still on his journey of riding to all 48 state capitols. (said he would ride
to 49 and 50 if he had Pegasus).

Last night I got a call from Gene, looking for a place to stay for Monday
night. I posted a few notes on some local Texas lists late Sunday night,
this AM I had a lead. Called her up, and she could take Gene and his two
horses in. Gene looks for places to stay that are within a 2 mile ride (or
less) from his route. If it is further, he tries to get a trailer ride from
that location, and back again in the AM, to pick up the trail where it left
off the previous day. Anyway, I drove down to check out the place he would
be staying, then started driving his route backwards, until I found him,
about 8 miles away. He tries to ride about 18 - 20 miles a day. More than
that, and his horses show the effects the next day. I stopped to talk to
him, and give him directions. He got off the horses, and just dropped the
reins on the riding horse, and the pack horse had is rope over the saddle
horn of the other. They ate grass, while we chatted, some 50' away from
them. They were right next to the road, completely loose, and knowing this
was TIME TO EAT. The one horse, George, has been on the journey since the
beginning in 2002. A nice Tenn. Walker gelding. The other is a mustang
gelding, who has been on the trip only about 10 days, but seemed to already
know the ropes.

A few things I noticed right off. Gene is very minimalist with his tack and
supplies. His saddle had a rain slicker tied on the back, and a hoof pick on
the front. He said the pack saddle, with all his stuff, and grain, probably
had only 100 pounds of total supplies. He did have beta biothane halter
bridles, and rode in a snaffle. The horses had good weight on them. Gene
does have a "cause" he rides for, which is for scholarship money to be sent
to children in Paraguay, so they can get an education here in the states,
and take that education and return to Paraguay, to help others there. He is
very fond of the kids down there, who usually have to go to work right after
6th grade. He asks for no donations to himself, and if you offer, he asks
you send to the fund instead.

He is heading up into Oklahoma, then New Mexico, then Arizona, Utah, then
not sure if he will go to Idaho or Nevada after that. He is always looking
for overnight accommodations for his horses and himself. He has wonderful
stories, words of wisdom, and thoughts on many things. <grin> More
information is at his website listed below. Currently, if you are somewhere
on a direct route between Denton TX and OK city, drop a note to the contact
on his web page if you might be able to help. Although I was not near the
route for a layover, I was close enough to do a little footwork, find a
place, and get to meet him, and then go back this evening for dinner and
more stories........
Jonni

http://www.geneglasscock.org

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ Heidi Sowards