[RC] Height of Chest Bar - April

Hi, Ridecampers,

I would like some opinions, please. I am planning on taking my trailer to a
welder to make some modifications.

I have a 2-horse straight load bumper pull with a dressing room. Each trailer
"stall" has a feed shelf with the saddles stored underneath (accessible from the
dressing room).

Tanna is a little guy (14.1, 775 pounds at his best) and the feed shelf makes it
so he has to have his head higher than I like and it's interfering with his
balance while being trailered.

What I'm going to do is have the welder remove the feed shelf and the chest wall
and wall off the bottom taking away one of my saddle racks, leaving plenty of
room for Tanna to get his head down and balance.

I want to put a chest bar to keep Tanna from getting too close to the front
wall, to leave room for a hay bag, and to protect him during a hard brake (keep
him from slamming into the front wall). Keeping that in mind, how high should I
make the chest bar? Should I measure where the bony point of his sternum is and
set it there, or set it x inches higher than that or lower? I want Tanna to be
able to lower his head as much as possible while still providing support in
those hard brake times.

Thanks for your opinions.

April
Nashville, TN

the first step on the road to overriding my horse

~