Re: [RC] questions! - Karla Watson

Breakfast: 1/2 Banana, 1/4 soft bagel and Starbucks cold espresso in little can--or beg my buddy Paul for some of his hot coffee!
Snack while Riding: bagels with peanut butter inside, cooked pasta in a baggie (easy to eat and lots of carbos), string cheese (if its not too hot out).
Drinks: Mix 1/2 water with 1/2 Powerade--isn't too sweet and has more electrolytes, less sugar than Gatorade.
Getting to sleep: Cocktail of 2 Valerian Root pills and 1 over-the-counter sleep aid pills and I'm out like a light and no weird hangover. I got tired of not sleeping on wink and feeling trashed before rides so this cocktail worked for me.
Portable corral. Got mine from a guy here locally in NW who makes them affordable and lightweight.
I've slept without heat in my last camper and am still fusing with the heat in my current camper, so....layer in down comforters and lots of fleece blankets (believe it or not, you can find used ones at Goodwill that are very nice and usable--especially for camping--VERY afforable), wear a HAT while you sleep cause that will keep you warmer than anything, wool socks (2 pairs) and gloves if you can stand them. The worst thing is waking up in the middle of the night to go potty and having to get warm again! But husband says the heater will be working by Prineville ride--yeah!!
By the way, used campers are not very expensive. People cannot trade them in since dealers don't want them unless they are only a couple years old. Even wrecking yards and junk dealers won't take them. So you can pick one up pretty cheap and they are way warmer than a tent.
Remember....you don't have to have all the fancy stuff that you see around ridecamp. Everyone has to start somewhere and most of those people in fancy LQs once started in this sport in a tent or sleeping in their truck.
Karla Watson