Re: [RC] What if your horse hates to condition? - Merry Wicklund

I dont think you NEED to condition the same way you ride a ride.  In fact, I dont think you would want to.  You should be able to tell how well conditioned he is by taking his p&r.  The point being that you need to work him hard enough to get his heart rate up and know how long he takes to come down.  That, more than anything should tell you how well conditioned he is.  I learned that from working out at the gym and riding mountain bikes.  We ALWAYS check heart rate and respiration and gut sounds after a conditioning ride.  Depending on the workout and how long it takes to come down to normal tells us what we need to do on the next ride.  You should not increase pace and distance at the same time.

Merry

Becky Rohwer <rj7647@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> My biggest concern is that we aren't conditioning the
> same way that we'll ride in a ride. He'll be happy to
> trot 10 mph at a ride, and if he's been mainly
> conditioned at a choppy 6 mph, that can't be the best
> thing for him. But, I've gotten several other emails
> like yours, so I'm definitely not alone, and will just
> keep on keepin' on. : - )

I guess one of the things I think about a ride is that not only is it a
competition, but also a condition stepping stone for the next ride. It's
just a longer ride. So, there you are getting your 10 MPH conditioning ride
done. Make sense??

Alright everyone, don't jump all over me about just taking your
unconditioned horse to a ride to condition them. That is not what I am
saying just in case you are thinking that. I know how you all can be. :-)
But each competition can be a step up to the next ride, so use them as such.

Becky R.

Arabians were bred for years primarily as a war horse and those
requirements are similar to what we do today with endurance riding.
~ Homer Saferwiffle

Be Happy, ride an Appy
www.hurricaneranch.net