[RC] choke - Agilbxr

ok, after reading all the posts on choking horses and thinking, "hmmm, glad
mine doesn't seem to have THAT problem," guess what happened????

You got it.  I got a call from my boarding barn last night.  Apparently, Alpine
tried to eat his dinner at a very high rate of speed, and managed to choke on
it.  He wasn't panicking and didn't seem to have trouble breathing, but he was
salivating excessivly and caughing a lot. So I call the vet to meet me there (I
was at work, agh).  The vet called me back and said he was at an emergency
call, but would call me as he was leaving.  So, vet calls, says he's on his
way.  I leave work to head to the barn, then barn manager calls again and says
he was drinking water and splashing quite violently, caughed once, and she saw
lots of brown stuff come out of his mouth with the water.

Once the vet got there, he was happily eating hay, but would still cough if his
throat was palpated.  This isn't my normal vet, her son was injured in an
accident, and she' not available this weekend.  He decided that Alpine had an
upper respitory infection, not choke, cause he wasn't panicking.  I kind of
think he just cleared it before the vet got there.  He didn't have a
temperature, and other than a sore throat, doesn't seem to feel bad.  The vet
didn't do anything (which is fine with me), but I think I am going to treat it
as a choke, put salt bricks in his feed bucket, and treat him to mushy food for
a few days.  (he'll love it...).  Oh, and give him a little bute for that sore
throat.

What do you guys think??  I was also considering asking Amy to wet Alpine's
feed from now on just 'cause.

(of course, it's beautiful weather here, I'm off all weekend, and I now have a
horse on vacation for it...sigh...)

Thanks again!
Juli and Alpine (owww...my throats sore)
They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM