[RC] Adequan, Chondroprotec, IM Glucosamine - Kristi Schaaf

Due to a misunderstanding of terminology on my part,
when I ordered "generic Adequan" from my vet, I
received IM Glucosamine. So, I did some reserach on
what I had in hand and how it differed from the
chemical structure/effect of Adequan. I found a
recently published study that compared Adequan,
Chondroprotec and Acetyl-de-glucosamine (Journal of
Veterinary Science, July 2003, pgs.295-300), and I'll
share some of what it reported. The study included 30
horses that were subjected to a CFA carpitis model (ie
made lame), and then a blind study was done on their
improvement. There were several measures done
(lameness, carpal flexion, stride length, carpal
circumference), but due to space I'll share only the
lameness score. After 33 days, Group A (Adequan) had
an 87% recovery, and Group B (Chondroprotec) and Group
C (IM GL) showed an approx 53% recovery. Something
interesting to me was that the study reports that
Chondroprotec is actually chemically different than
Adequan!! Taken from the article: "laboratory analysis
of this compound (Chondroprotect) has shown that it is
actually chondroitin sulfate (a monosulfated GAG) of
molecular weight of 16,000-33,000 Daltons. It is thus
not chemically the same as PSGAG (Adequan)". The
article makes the argument that the erroneously named
'generic Adequans' (Chondropotec and IM GL) are
chemically different and inferior products. It points
out the differences in chemical makeup and Dalton
weight, the significant effectiveness differences
shown in the study, and the lack of efficacy/safety
studies and FDA approval for the generics. It even
advises veterinarians of the risk liability of using
them. I did notice that the study was funded by a
grant from the makers of Adequan, sooo....is there a
chance that the research is Adequan biased, or is it
truly (as I would hope) an impartial study in a
refereed journal? At any rate, since I have the IM GL,
I'm going to use it, but now I wonder if my money
would have been better spent on the pricier Adequan (I
paid $5 a dose for the IM GL, which was a big tipoff
to me that I DIDN'T have an Adequan equal)...Kristi
iluvdez at yahoo dot com