[RC] What to do about large predators (long) - Chrystal

O.k. since no-one has actually given any advice about what to actually when
faced with these animals I 'll take a shot at it- except for the snakes, I
have seen maybe two snakes in my life I would probably faint and fall off
my horse if I came across one of those huge water things you guys were
talking about! UGH! Canada might be cold but that's o.k. if it keeps the
snakes out.:-):-) :-)

The thing is the chances of seeing any of these animals while at a ride is
just about 'nil, they don't like people and a couple of hundred campers and
riders milling about is a pretty good gaurantee that all wild animals are
gone!!:-) However if you were at a ride in major bear country there  a few
precautions you can take like don't have ANYTHING in your tent with a good
smell, that includes toothpaste,shampoo, canned dog food ( they can smell
the food in the can!)put all that stuff in the truck (  I am assuming that
you were already smart enough to put the people food in the truck:-) )
Bears can and have "attacked" trucks, broken the windows/doors to get at
food etc... but better your truck than your tent! When they have found (
the odd , this doesn't happen very often)women hikers who have been mauled
to death by a bear, often only her scalp/hair was torn off, wildlife
officers surmise that it is because women often have fruity smelling
shampoo/hairspray/gel/mousse etc... and that is what the bear was after!!
Really,the less one showers the better when in bear country, I don't know
about the States but up here in Ontario that isn't a problem at rides as
there are no showers!!:-)
If you meet a bear on the trail put your arms over your head,wave your coat
over your head and make loud,scary noises at the bear, there a few things
bigger than a bear in the woods and nothing really stands up to it ( 'cept
the Moose and we will get to them:-) ) so when faced with a tall,screaming
person in the forest that isn't runnign away,the bear generally leaves as
fast as possible. A bears main diet is berries and fish, they typically
will only attack if there are cubs and you are seen as a threat, or they
are a rogue bear OR if you smell like a berry( there is that shampoo
problem) ), And if you are on your horse I would bet that you could out run
a bear with little problems, yeah they are fast but for only a short
distance,unlike our endurance horses right??!!:-)
Oh, and that playing dead thing will only work with Grizzlies as they like
their food a bit decomposed, so if you can lie still while it mauls you and
convince it you are dead, it will kick a few leaves over you and leave you
for awhile- black bears however will start eating you right away- so if you
can figure out which kind of bear it is and have a high pain tolerance you
can try playing dead, but really not a good choice.:-)
Wolves- well I have lived in wolf territory and never had a problem with
them, they tend to be very shy around humans and unless they were starving
I can't imagine them attacking a camp and if you met a crazy wolf while
riding that decided to attack you then you could outrun it on your horse, I
have NEVER heard of a wolf killing a person in the wild.
Cougars.......... scare me:-) the best thing to do in their territory is to
let them know you are coming as they will usually leave, dogs have been
known to save their owners as they attack the cougar and the person can get
away ( yes the dog usually doesn't get away :-( )if riding in major cougar
country I would ride with a friend and talk /sing whatever to let them know
where I am and have dogs in my camp. And carry bear(pepper) spray in case a
cougar did attack , although they usually pounce from the back so you
probably wouldn't have a chance to use it, but it might make you feel
better to carry it!!:-) :-)
O.k. Barbara in the East, this is for you.:-) :-).MOOSE are not
lumbering,stupid animals, they weigh thousands of pounds and are fast! They
can move as fast as a  bear when they want to, you definitely could not out
run a moose on foot, and they really are tempermental and unpredictable
that is one of the reason's they are so dangerous, you never know what they
are going to do , if you find one in a bad mood and that could be calving
season,rutting season etc.... it can chase/hunt you down and will try to
put big holes in you with its antlers or trample you- I have ridden by
bears who were on the other side of the road from me and not worried too
much, however I would be stressed and watch a moose very carefullyin the
same situation and stay FAR away from it. As long as you keep your distance
they are usually o.k.
Quite honestly people worry me way more than any of these animals- animals
don't look for confrontations give them a chance to get away and they
usually will.

The only thing worse than crewing for a female Endurance rider is crewing

~