[RC] Ponying: do they learn anything - A. Perez

 Absolutley!  Voice commands, crossing water, etc can be
taught, but most importantly you can teach your young horse to
'expect the unexpected': if only ridden in one place until fully
saddle broken, a horse may think "Oh, we're going riding: that
means the ring", and be surprised and insecure at suddenly
finding himself being heading off into the woods.  If, on the
other hand, the young horse is taken to new and different places
throughout his training, he'll think "Oh, we're going riding: I
wonder where we'll go today".  With my filly I am spending as
little time int he ring as possible, so she does not depend on
it for security.

 I have been ponying Lexi with good results (apart from my
psychotic gelding being an idiot to pony from).  I was thrilled
when I first took Lexi out on the trails, and she walked right
into the first stream we had to cross and started drinking!  I
doubt she'd have done that under saddle, given the novelty of
being ridden combined with the novelty of the trail.

Get your own "800" number
Voicemail, fax, email, and a lot more
http://www.ureach.com/reg/tag
Prudence and focus will carry you a long way on a horse.
~  Frank Solano