Re: [RC] Snakes - Tracy Cann

They took her to the vets, for a night or two (not sure why), she was improving so
they brought her home - just in time for this cold snap.  Yep, 80 degrees monday and
it's snowing/raining by friday.  Saturday, my husband called the neighbor about
something and asked how the filly was doing, expecting to hear basically good news.
Not to be - at that time she was "peeing blood" and they had called the vet, probably
to put her down.  Very sad.
So does rattlesnake venom break down the muscle tissue?  Could the red urine be caused by muscle breakdown products (like in tying up?)  Or maybe the kidneys
were just exhausted?  I don't want to call and ask and upset them, but I wonder.

From what I know the red pee would be from tissue breakdown that the kidneys are trying to flush out.  It can look like tying up but it happens for a different reason.  The result can be the same though.  The filly should probably be on an IV to give her lots of fluids to help with this.  The same thing happens to people who get bit and they don't put them down so I hope the filly is okay.  Now if she didn't get enough fluids and her kidneys were damaged she could be in even more trouble.  Hope that's not the case.

Tracy