Re: [RC] Instructions for newbie crew-people? - RDCARRIE

My husband is a horse person, and after crewing for me off and on for a couple
of years, he got the bug and now rides LD at every ride.  Lost my crew, but I
love it that he's now having fun riding  :)  The first year, I did pretty much
all my rides alone.  By the time he started coming to some rides to crew, I
pretty much knew what I needed him to do.

My suggestion, especially since your boyfriend is NOT a horse person, is to
make it as simple as possible for him.  Have your vet check elytes already
mixed, etc.  Make a list the night before of things you want him to do...if you
want him to meet you as you come in off trail with a cooler for your horse's
rump, put it on the list.  If you want him to mix your horse's beet pulp slurry
as you go through the vet check, write it down (you can even pre-measure the
water and beet pulp into separate buckets that morning or the night before so
all he has to do is dump them together and stir).  Basically, for the first few
rides, keep his duties simple and easy - a positive experience will keep him
coming back for more. :) As he learns the routine, he'll need less "list
making," and you can gradually add duties.  If there are out of camp vet
checks, try to have your stuff organized for him to pack up, and make a list of
everything he's to bring.

Just some suggestions that might help you cultivate a new crew person!

Dawn in East Texas
D@zwn­©Üz+jا?è
±©ZvƧw??뢽Ýk+,¶¶¢?Gz'bJ?­Û+?×?jjgzا~?æjب?m§ÿðçvêÚ?ǧzßë?×?jj