From: Truman Prevatt <tprevatt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Howard Bramhall <howard9732@xxxxxxx>
CC: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC]   [RC] Snakes
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2004 18:57:24 -0400

With the cotton mouth it is you or them. They are extremely territorial and will come after you. When I was a teen my cousin and I were sitting in this nice lake bass fishing in a John boat. This was up in on the border of Western TN and KY near LBL. This cotton mouth swims out of the cat tails and we think nothing of it. He keeps coming for out boat. We finally got concerned when that sapsucker started to try to get into our boat - showing us why he is called a cotton mouth. My cousin whacked him with the oar and stunned him and I finished him off with the trusty 38 I always took fishing with me.

I've never heard of a horse getting bit by a moccasin but I expect it could easily happen. I'm always a bit concerned about the swamps.

BTW I don't know about bath tubs but in the Sarasota paper a couple years ago it reported a moccasin coming up through the toilet. Makes one thing about sitting before looking. They also seem to like to get into peoples swimming pools. More that one person has dove into his pool for a nightly skinny dip to come eye-ball-to-eye-ball with a moccasin.

Truman

Howard Bramhall wrote:

Every time I see Steve Irwin on TV I'm rooting for the Croc. Normally, Tracy, I'd agree with you, when it comes to respecting nature and all. But, if you've ever run into a water moccasin down here (aka cottonmouth) you might think otherwise. They hide underwater, like submarines, and when they surface (usually when you're halfway into a swamp crossing while riding your horse) right by your left leg you'll understand the need to kill or be killed. These things are the most aggressive snakes around and they will come after you. Just for fun.

I had a cat that was bit by one of these things. Spent over 500 bucks at the midnight animal hospital trying to save my cat, "Jax." Anti-venom is incredibly expensive. His poor leg swelled up like a balloon and it got so bad the vet had to put him down. Ever since then, because of Jax and, maybe, that 500 bucks, if I find a cotton mouth out on the trail or near my place I will take him out (and, not out for dinner).

I've known some neighbors who have had run ins with these vipers and their horses. Once the horse is bitten, if it's lucky enough to survive, it's never the same. The area near the bite swells up and after awhile the skin starts to slough off. The smell of the skin in that area is the smell of death because that part of the horse's body is literally dead.

So, in the name of my dead cat Jax and the safety of the horses around here I kill Cotton Mouths. Haven't had to do it lately since we haven't had much rain since last summer. Plus, the city of Ormond Beach is running out of water so they've decided to tap into the swamp where I go riding and are using it for drinking water. The way Florida is growing swamps will soon be a thing of the past. I wonder if it's possible to have a cotton mouth come out of your water spicket while taking a warm, comfortable bath?

cya,
Howard

--

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.

Persistent heartburn? Check out Digestive Health & Wellness for information and advice. http://gerd.msn.com/default.asp

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM