Re: [RC] Runny nose after exercise - Ed & Wendy Hauser

"...Could it be allergies?..."

My thoughts exactly.  Last fall we missed a ride with a friend because Karen's nose started running clear stuff by the quart after eating her beet pulp grain mix.  Called the vet.  He couldn't really pinpoint a cause.  We were worried that Wendy had brought a virus home from her volunteering at a stable.

About 2 months later the same thing happened when Wendy used a bucket of straight grain to lure Karen into the corral.  Bingo! Karen is apparently allergic to the dust in the oats or cracked corn.  Now we are just careful to mix the grain with the beet pulp to not expose her to the dust.

Your horse may be allergic to some pollen.  If it is seasonal, a good human allergist could make a good guess as to what plant or tree it is.  I have no idea what you should do if it is a seasonal pollen.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875