Re: [RC] [RC] fear--how to keep your "seat" - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Nicole z_arabs@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi Terry,

My guess -- not ever having seen you ride so I could be totally
wrong -- is that when you are up in your stirrups you also lift
your weight to your upper body.  Very common to do this.  It
takes conscious practice to two-point and keep your weight down
low.  (I can do it on the trail without thinking, but in the
arena for some reason either posting or two-pointing I have to
concentrate to keep my weight where it belongs.)

BTW, it shouldn't really matter if you're standing or sitting,
it's keeping the weight low, body balanced, and breathing deep
(as you note) that matters.

~Nicole

Re: [RC] fear-alice-how to keep your "seat" - Terry Flanagan

Hi...that's sort of funny, because I would have said the opposite...My horse is
a lot like Alice's...is hesitant about leading, can shy at times, and the thing
that keeps me in the seat and not on the ground is keeping the majority of my
weight in my seat.  If I"m more in the stirrups, it's like a spring coil for
getting sprung off if she shies.  By staying in the seat, lower, heavy,
breathing deep, my center of gravity is low too...Just very
interesting...learning what works for people and which horses and what doesn't.

Terry (new here...)

Ed Kilpatrick <whytrotfarms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
alice,  the big spook is a bad thing!  i see lots of people get dumped when
that happens.
you need to get the majority of your weight on the balls of your feet instead
of on your seat, especially at a canter.  think of it as straddling the horse
in a standing position, with your legs as relaxed as possible.  dont "squeeze
with your knees".  you have to keep your center of gravity as low in the saddle
as possible.  heels down, head in the middle!   ed

sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt