RE: [RC] howard and racing - Catfish Daniels

I guess I totally missed something here.  I since deleted Howard's post
after sorta scanning through it, but it seems to me that he was more
talking about people staying out of the way at the finish line.  What's
wrong with that???  I don't know Howard personally, but I would bet that
he is all FOR riding within safe control.  What I got from his e-mail
was the fact that if you go to an endurance ride, which many indeed
consider a race (hey, to each their own), stay out of the way.  At an
endurance ride most horses are wound up, no matter how safe one tries to
ride.  One should stay out of the way no matter what.  It's their time,
their right of way.  And let's face it, there will be people racing to
the finish line, whether it is to win, to slide into the top 10 spot, or
simply because you're excited to finish the 50 miles, chances are that
horses will be galloping in.  I think Howard's advice was great, to stay
the heck out of the way.  As long as endurance is done competitively and
it is something other than a trail ride, you will have people racing.
The trail is designated for those competing - if you see horses coming
your way, I side with Howard, MOVE.  I say, leave it up to the
individual how they choose to ride their mounts.  They've done the
training, they've put in the time and effort, they have paid their entry
fees, there's nothing in the AERC rules that outlaws racing to the
finish line, and hopefully the individual riders will be responsible
enough to ride their horses at whatever speed it is to keep it safe.
My personal opinion, your smart remark and calling Howard a fool just
because you don't agree with him...I thought that was pretty cheap.

Catfish

DBL Realtors