Re: [RC] Ground Control shoes - sharon1359

IME, if you give the hoof a nice mustang roll all around before you nail on the
shoe, the possibility of hoof wall separation issues is minimized.

When I first had these shoes put on Zephyr last September, he was having minor
hoof wall separation issues, and I had been giving him a nice big mustang roll.
I did his trim exactly the same way before my farrier put the GC shoes on him,
and 9 weeks later when the shoes were pulled I was thrilled to see his hooves
were still in perfect condition.  Zero separation, and also zero maintenance on
my part... where when he was barefoot, I was having to redo the mustang roll
every week to prevent spreading.

If you need to know what a mustang roll is, read this site:
www.barefoothorse.com - very informative!!

Hope that helped a bit,
-Sharon K. & Zephyr's Elegant Gift ("I love my shoes, Mom! When can I get a new
set?")

Quoting wendy <wmccullough8@xxxxxxxxx>:

I know this subject has come up before but I'm wondering if anyone has any
long term or additional experience with these shoes.  I read the reports of
hoof wall breakdown on the archives:  was that for horses who had similar
problems with steel shoes or for horses without problems?  My horse's feet
are great right now and he is more comfortable barefoot and if we weren't
doing CTR he would not need shoes at all.  I do not want to create a problem
with his feet -- I do like the idea of allowing his foot to flex more freely,
but not at the expense of the hoof wall.  I find Easy Boots are awkward and
I've heard conflicting reports about chaffing and irritation with Old Mac's
so I'm not sure which way to go.  He's done okay with steel all around but
he's telling me he's more comfortable without shoes.  My farrier is coming in
a couple of weeks.  Thanks for any advice.  Wendy
Locks do not prevent theft, they only deter those in doubt.
~ Robert Morris