Re: [RC] [RC] Learning from Riding Accidents - Sundaez

Reading all these accident post got me thinking about all the falls I've had and it occurred to me all of the injuries I've had, except one, were on horses I did not know very well. Also it occurred to me I've been bucked off mares but never geldings....I don't know if it is because mares buck more than geldings or because I ride more mares.

I've never come off my "main" horse in four years though a couple situations I should have. like once when I mounted the reins looped around the stirrup which bent her head around. Still don't know how that happened nor how I got out of it. Another time she stepped into a ball of baling twine with a plastic bag caught in it. She started backing up fast and the fast she backed the faster the twine chased her. Just when she as ready to blow and I was ready to bail the baling wire came loose. The most recent thing was her rump rug slipped to the side at a canter and she started bucking...a lunge with each buck (yes they can buck with the head up) Each buck was hard enough to slam my jaw and I almost bit my tongue off <g>...rode it out though.

The dumbest accident I had was on my 14 hand Icelandic. It was a couple days after a my first CTR and I was tired not paying attention. We  were canter up a slight incline...he did a quick spook to the right then immediately to the left and I just sort of slid off the back and landed on my head. Spend the night in the ER with a concussion. I was knocked out and came to on a back board with the threat of being chemically paralyzed by the paramedic if I didn't calm down. (I'm told acting "combative" is a sign of a concussion.)

I used to ride lots of Icelandics fresh from Iceland (they are scared of trees, cars, rocks, trashcans, etc when they first get here)...and most of them bucked, bolted, dropped shoulders and spun, etc....whathaveyou. The thing about riding little horses like that with thick necks is they just drop their heads and disappear out from under you...sort of body slam you. Who says it is easier to fall from a short horse? That's not true! I haven't fallen from a big horse in years. There is all that neck and wither in front of you to hold you in...but I have had lots of broken bones from those ponies!

mel