[RC] re: volunteers at rides and PLANNING - Lynne Glazer

Sorry you were flattened, Cate, but as a RM I have to ask: why was the finish line set up so close to camp? "Semi-congested area" is not suitable for a finish line on a RACE. And racing for 3,4,5,6--perhaps they were being competitive about weight divisions, still "valid" reasons to be coming fast. Heck, it's fun to come across the finish line at a gallop, my mare particularly enjoys that, even if it's for 20th place-not a race, obviously, but still part of the fun.

Another criteria for a finish line is having a relatively safe (uncongested) place for helpers and onlookers to BE as 800-1000 lb beasts are racing towards you.

Was it a lack of volunteers that necessitated the timers being also the finish line people? I use different folks for the finish line than for other timing at basecamp

No, people, sadly, don't always know where the finish line is, even though RMs urge that it be pre-ridden to prevent mixups. At one of my rides, the riders didn't do that and the first two finishers ended up reversed when they corrected their error. How hard is it to pre-ride the finish, if you are a RACER? I emphasize that in my ride meetings. Maybe it should be in my welcome flyer, LOL.

Sure, riders should have their horse under control. As to finding you later, would she have recognized you from that momentary encounter (and in a ridecamp of perhaps 100-200 people--just guessing).

People need to have learned from that horrendous accident in the NW a few years ago--the finish line must be AWAY from camp, too bad for the spectators and crews having to haul a little bit, but it ain't worth risking everyone's safety over it.

Lynne
Two posts to Ridecamp in 2 days, uh, oh. Rather talk about this than LD BC (a continual hot button)