Re: [RC] volunteers at rides -- getting run over at the finish line - SteelSideDown

I don't want to step on any toes, creative criticism ONLY!  I feel the root of the problem was the finish line itself.  Again, take the experience and learn from it, we are all relieved no one was seriously hurt.

There was a stable, but unsafe to "trot over" bridge about 1/4 mile out.  I feel the finish line really should have been before the bridge (in that beautiful, wide, safe, grassy field) not after it.  Beyond that, the next 1/4 mile was muddy, rutted, and rooty, basically single tract that led to the finish line.  The finish line was about 50 feet from the farrier and the "in timer".  There was not enough space for an excellent rider to stop a well behaved horse, much less the hyped up finish line gallopers.

Kudos to the management for creating an excellent system of trail markings!  Fair Hill trails have never been sooooo easy to follow. They used white ribbons (with the loop color) for left turns, and red for right turns.  My first though was "I'll never get this straight".  After a few turns we were pros, in those big open fields it really helps to know which way to turn!

Thankful for all the volunteers who braved the mud,
Jen in VA