Re: [RC] free choice beet pulp at ridecamp - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

What Dawn said below is just what I was going to say, and she beat me to it. :-))) I'd feed beet pulp as a regular part of the ration at home, plus at rides, or not at all.  A few bites stolen from someone else's feed tub is okay at rides, but an unlimited amount of anything unusual at a ride is just too likely to cause a problem one way or another.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Sunday, April 04, 2004 8:54 PM
Subject: Re: [RC] free choice beet pulp at ridecamp

I'd make sure to provide beet pulp as part of his daily ration at home as well.  It takes time for the gut to adapt to new feeds, or increased amounts of a feed.  My husband's Paso Fino, which he rides in LDs, is particularly sensitive to increases in amounts of beet pulp...if we increase it too quickly, he'll develop a painful gas colic.  So, we feed beet pulp every day, and several days before a ride, we'll begin gradually increasing the amount he gets to what he'll be getting at camp.

Dawn in East Texas