Re: [RC] DUMPED - Tracy Cann

I got dumped a few years ago by a big palomino QH that I used to have, where both of us ended up eating dirt.  (note, been dumped plenty since then )  Unfortunately I broke my arm in three places in the wreck so I couldn't ride him for awhile safely.  I found an ex-jockey through my veterinary employer and paid him $20 every time he could find the time to ride the horse.  That little guy had ZERO problem dealing with the horse.  He would come out, saddle up, and hop on.  The horse tried everything to no avail.  The guy just let him buck the first time for awhile and then spanked his butt every time it came up.  Just one sharp smack with a short crop at every buck.  The horse kind of freaked out once when he tripped badly in the middle of a buck (that's how he lost me) and almost went down.  This guy just stepped off, stopped the horse, and talked to him until he calmed down.  Then got back up and rode around talking calmly to the horse the whole time.  He never lost his temper, or got macho with the horse.  Boy, that sure was a nicer horse by the time I healed up.  The animal was a major problem child when I bought him and though I thought I had him somewhat retrained, apparently I hadn't.  He ended up being a team roping horse and his current owner loves him and has had him for years.  I know I was lucky to find this guy (can't remember his name for the life of me) but if you can find someone like that it would be wonderful.  Some of those jockeys out there are incredible riders.  What we think is difficult to ride is nothing to them.

Good luck,

Tracy