Re: [RC] The Great Vitamin Debate - Susan E. Garlinghouse, DVM

Also, if you're feeding extra beetpulp and nothing else then you're
imbalancing your calcium/phosphorus ration.  Rice bran is a good
supplement to balance out the beetpulp.

My post was in response to the above comments regarding *calcium-phosphorus*
ratios---not magnesium (except as a contribution to enteroliths, but that
has to do with Mg bioavailability, another issue).

I'm glad Dr. Kellon's advice has been helpful to you, but magnesium
supplementation for cresty necks wasn't the point of discussion at hand.

Susan Garlinghouse, DVM

Well, if your horses become overly stimulated (sounds set them off easily
and they're just generally nervous) or you start getting cresty necks in the
spring/summer, I suggest you get hold of Dr. Kellon and have her help you
with a feed analysis.  Getting vit/mins balanced has fixed these symptoms in
my horses and many of my friend's horses.  Horses who reside on the rich
pastures of the western side of the mountains in the NW, even if they are
supplemented with eastern hay, can easily have an imbalanced magnesium
uptake.  Horses who tend to be "easy keepers" are especially prone to the
effects of magnesium defficiencies.  Dr. Kellon breeds and races TB's and
has been doing nutrition work for many years.  She has several good books
out on the subject that are available through Amazon.com   She is also very
accessible via the internet if you have questions to ask.

I'm glad I got a second opinion two years ago.  I've seen the physical
improvements that getting the pastures healthy and ensuring correct vit/min
balance can make.

KS

There are 2 ways to win at this sport. You take a horse and race him for a
short time and then find a new horse or you can take one horse , do the
homework and spend many miles and years enjoying that horse.
~  Paddi Sprecher

Black care rarely sits behind a rider whose pace is fast enough
~  Theodore Roosevelt