[RC] Leatherwood - Ridecamp Guest

Please Reply to: Alicia Mansuetti mmansuetti@xxxxxxxxx or ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Leatherwood- a little bit of horse heaven!  I attended my second Leatherwood
ride this year and for the second time enjoyed myself and most everything about
it!  Abbie Hanchey and Phil Rash did a wonderful job once again with this ride!
The trail is well marked with ample water everywhere.  The food at the ride is
some of the best around and who can beat the stalls for your horses and the
"cabins" to stay in.  The hot tub under the stars at our cabin sure did feel
wonderful after the ride!!

The trail this year was definately the toughest I have ridden and my horse
thought so too!  I brought my "backup backup" horse who probably does not like
me to much now.  He started his usual happy go forward self and looked really
good at the first vet check except for a little bit of back soreness on the
left side.  The next loop was the toughest I knew from experience and it proved
to be very tough for him.  the first mile into it a stick went up into his
splint boots and gave him a nice scrape.  the blood coagulated quickly so we
went on after I cleaned it and found no soreness or swelling.  the rideges next
were AWESOME but soon after our ride went south.  He was body clipped and for
some reason every fly on the mountain seemed to be on us.  I felt like I was in
a fly horror movie.  My friend Claire did not have a one on her but boy were
they on us.  Next he decided that he was not going to climb up anymore
mountains and almost took me and him over the mountain.  I dismounted where he
decided to toss and shake his head so violently that he bent my thumbnail
backwards twice under gloves!  then he stomped my foot.  He made me so mad I
tried to ride him again to almost fall off of the mountain again.  I dismounted
and tried to tail, he got away from me with my friend Claire catching him and
then he bit her!  After I climbed on foot up Bob's Branch I decided he was not
right and we rode back to camp in the trailer.  All of the vets expected to see
a crazed horse after we called down, but by the time we got down his heart rate
was great, metabolics good and just a little sore back.  I felt like I had egg
on my face but they did not see what I went through.  My friend Claire can
attest to his tantrum!

Inspite of my horse tantrum I had a blast and am looking forward to their labor
day ride!!!

taking your non-horsey family to a ridecamp with you!
~ Heidi Sowards