Re: [RC] The great vitamin debate - heidi

Having a debate with a friend of mine that thinks you are neglecting
your horse if you don't supplement with vitamins daily. I have been told
that if you feed high quality hay (mine is: Eastern Oregon orchard
grass) with beet pulp you should be fine. Mine are also on pasture in my
backyard and get Sel supplement since I'm in the NW. Is it true you must
add vitamins or just a waste of money?

The only way to "debate" that is to test your hay.  My experience with
eastern Oregon orchard grass was that selenium was about the only thing it
lacked.  (Of course, it had virtually NONE of that, so you REALLY had to
supplement LOTS of selenium...)

Horses evolved to eat grass, and their needs are by and large met by GOOD
quality grass from good soil.

Heidi

One of the great joys of being a pompous idiot is that you can do and think
whatever you want.
~  Homer Safferwiffle