[RC] BEHIND THE GREEN GATE (better known as New Cuyama Oaks XP 2004) - Part Two of Two - TypeF \(Jackie Floyd\)

(Continued ...)

After we got to the top of the UP, I was dreading the DOWN. But to my surprise, my uphill horse was now a downhill horse, too! He trucked on by more people than I can remember and never dragged a foot all three days. All I can assume is that galloping up all those training hills following the Kirkpatricks built up his back and butt muscles enough for him to finally be able to do it.

All three days were great rides. Day two was challenging for me in that I suffered from heat exhaustion after lunch and almost turned back. Sharon agreed to walk with me for awhile and I just kept pouring my water bottle through the holes in my helmet and on my shirt and we still managed to make it in by 4:30. I think it was the overdose of extra strength Exedrin I took. I won?t do that again! Day two also returned girth galls for the first time in my relationship with Tank. The Kirkpatricks loaned me a smooth neoprene girth and a jar of vasoline to replace my Toklat wool girth and I notched it a couple of holes looser and just found rocks to get on with on Day three. Think I?ll be looking for more rocks in the future.

By Day three Tank was tired and actually more like the horse I?m used to on training rides energy-wise, but he still was picking up those back feet going downhill and he really, really looked like he was having a good time. We spent a good part of the morning riding with Les Carr and Tank learned how to do the "Tulip Jog." Now, if I could just get him to do that when Tulip isn?t around ? I should say Tank was having a good time UNTIL ? we had to go out for loop two after lunch. Those in-camp vet checks always get him. Talk about dashed hopes! I got out late and the pack I?d been riding with had already gone and we spent the next hour by ourselves, picking our way through that cobblestone stream and none too gracefully, I might add. Poor dejected Tank just didn?t seem to care where he was putting his feet and slipped off the cobbles a couple of times. When we finally got out of there and started to trot, I noticed he had a slight head bob once in a while. During that time immediately after the cobblestones I was kind of in some kind of zone and wasn?t paying attention when I got off to open a gate, and practically closed it in the face of another rider coming up on my tail. Well, it wasn?t that close but she wasn?t very thrilled. I did apologize and I?m apologizing again. I even looked right at her coming up the hill and just didn?t plain see her! As time wore on, Tank?s head bob was still slight but it was constant. I decided that was the end of our trotting and we walked the rest of the way back in until one little stretch close to camp. He knew where we were and by golly, it was time to EAT! We managed to get in at 5:50 and got our completion.

In looking back at the three days, a lot of what I saw is a blur and I am so glad I took so many pictures. I rode with lots of different people, some of whom I know via email newsgroups and others I didn?t know at all. Becky H., Alisson F., Karen C., Jackie B. (I was Jackie F.), The Ribleys, Les, and for the rest of you, I?m terrible at names. I kept asking "And what?s your name again?" Didn?t do me any good ? they went right in one ear and out the other. Maybe by the next ride I?ll get them memorized! I heard lots of interesting conversation. "To Top Ten LD?ers or not"; Jackie B?s most frequent ride manager problem ? "I just have one question ?"; "Hell hath no fury like a Duck scorned! Who left that damn gate open???" We saw so much pretty country! I can?t thank Jim Mitchell enough for sharing his beautiful spot on this earth with us and allowing us all to tromple every blade of grass in sight. Nor can I thank the Nicholsons and their volunteers and staff enough for going to all the trouble to put on this ride. Every single one of us lucky enough to get to go should be singing them all praises. I thought the trail was extremely well marked and only got lost three times ... right after the tunnel, going along a ridge on Day two (I turned left downhill instead or around a bush to the right) and Day three at "left at the corrals."

Pictures of the trail can be seen at:

http://www.typef.com/horses/NCOXP04/

:) Jackie and Tank

P.S. ? For those of you who couldn?t go to the Cuyama, it was horrible. The weather was ugly, there were absolutely no wild flowers, there was no place to park and you had to keep your horse in the trailer because there was not one square inch of ground for it to stand on. The food sucked and the ride management was just plain onery. Don?t go next year. You?ll hate it!!!