Re: [RC] new horse? - heidi sowards

Hi Melissa, my latest horse was basically wild when I got
him, I think he'd been cowboyed a bit for worming/halter
breaking, etc. Wouldn't let you touch ears or mouth. My
trainer (Leanne Studdard) worked with him daily and by the
end of 60 days you could rub his ears and bit him up just
fine. I still had to take it slow and be patient, a couple
of times we had to go into a stall corner to get the bit in
(just back 'em into a corner so they can't evade and back
up) Two years later, you can give him oral tubes, rub his
ears, use a browband, etc. You might try finding a great
taste (like molasses) and start rubbing the inside of her
gums with your fingers. There is hope!!! Good luck!

heidi

--- Melissa <melisamk@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi Ed
I guess from rereading what I wrote initially, I was just
asking for the little push over the "right" edge of the
fence. I listed all the glowing, positive aspects of this
dynamic sounding (trumpets blaring da da dah Superman
theme) and then in parenthesis is this little  tiny
problem - just one. ha ha I'm laughing at myself. Yes, I
believe I will drive my dumb butt back to WI and pick her
up. Thus will begin my illustrious "horse training"
career(music now playing Jaws theme)
Thanks for all the input!~
Melissa/MN

hi melissa,  sounds to me like you should get this horse
and get started with her.  it shouldnt be too difficult
or take to long to get the bitting issue solved.

=====
Heidi-aerc#M20935  /\_/\~    http://www.synjinarts.com
                ~~/~~  \\~~~~   (Wildlife/Western & Equine