Re: [RC] HorseGuard fence, new product. - Truman Prevatt

Ed,

You know what happened last summer to my brand new spiffy lightining diverter device that was suppose to protect my charger?

Well the stirke vaporizied about five feet of the top electric war - a five foot gap in the wire gone.  It also must have smoked one of the plastic insulators - I could never find it. As far as the new spiffy lightining that was "guarenteed" to work - can you say charcoal. And the charger - well it knew what hit it. Thank goodness it was solar.

A couple hundred million volts in a few nanoseconds will do that.

In the past 15 years - I've lost a charger about every 3 years. The lightining supressors will work on minor strikes - but a direct hit forget it.

One way lightining can do its damage that a lot of people don't realize is through the ground side. If lightining hits the ground close enough to the ground rod, it will come up through the the ground and fry the charger. No lightining diverter will stop that. So in some cases with multiwire fence it not a bad idea to float the charger above the ground and to instead attach every other wire to the ground side of the charger.

Truman

Ed & Wendy Hauser wrote:
I just got in the mail a HorseGuard catalog.  They have added a new switch
to their product line.  It is a singlepole, double throw switch they call
the "togole".  The use is to allow an easy change from the standard all
strands hot, ground through the ground to the alternate for very dry areas
of hot strand(s), and ground strand(s).  Looks like it would work great.

For Truman (who in sunny humid subtropical FL, does not have dry pasture
problems) they have also added lightening advice and diverter hardware.
Their design for an induction spool is probably cheaper than usual premade
ones..

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875

ranch@xxxxxxxxxxx
406.642.6490

--
We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

We imitate our masters only because we are not yet masters ourselves, and only

because in doing so we learn the truth about what cannot be imitated.