[RC] We're on our way! - Patti Pankiewicz-Fuchs

Went on my first ride around the neigborhood on Serendipity yesterday. She just got back from the trainers on Sunday where she had spent 30 days getting edjamacated on being a riding horse.

To refresh: She was just this side of wild when I brought her home 1.5 years ago when she was 4. I got pregnant and had a baby in that time but did do some long-lining, practiced with saddling, and hubby and I got on her for a few minutes about 3 times prior to going to the trainers.

She did awesome! My neighborhood can be like running the gauntlet sometimes; cows, emus, horses, semi-aggresive dogs, big pick-ups on narrow roads, massive grove trucks, orange picking machines, garbage on the side of the road, etc. Aside from a few looky-loos, she kept her down and relaxed and went about her business. Not a single, what I would call "real" spook.

The coolest part was as were doing a nice slow-medium trot I saw our perfect silhouette on the road. And we looked just like an endurance team! LOL Well, to me anyway. I was so proud of how she rated herself, staying in the trot, but not going too fast or slowing down. We rode with her pasture mate, and she didn't even speed up when she got a little ahead of us.

So we're on our way hopefully to someday being a 50 mile team and if I dare to dream maybe someday a 100 mile. We'll see.

Btw, if there are any riders in the Florida-Treasure Coast area I sure would love to have some conditioning partners! My truck isn't very reliable at this point so I'm only able to really go to the St. Sebastian Buffer Preserve. But with it having 4 different access areas now it has more trails then we could ask for to get us ready for our first ride.

Patti & Serendipity

Free up your inbox with MSN Hotmail Extra Storage. Multiple plans available. ============================================================ Far back, far back in our dark soul the horse prances... The horse, the horse! The symbol of surging potency and power of movement, of action... ~ DH Lawrence ridecamp.net information: http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/ ============================================================