Re: [RC] Sticking Em with a horsewhoe nail - Ed & Wendy Hauser

Disclaimer:  I do not advocate sticking a horse with a nail period!

Pioneer psychologist Skinner showed in the 1920's that rats learn faster from reward than from punishment, but fastest of all from both reward and punishment.  How does this carry over to horses?

One has to figure out why the undesirable behavior happens.  If a horse doesn't know any better, or is scared (the most common state of a horses mind), punishment doesn't work.  The natural horsemanship stuff works great.  If, however, a horse is being deliberately defiant, punishment works great.  I can give two examples.

1.  My younger son's mare started to avoid the bit.  I looked into all the usual things.  Did her teeth hurt? Was it an unsuitable bit? I did the John Lyons lower your head cue until I was so frustrated I hauled off and slugged her.  She jumped, then put her head down and opened her mouth.  A second lesson was not needed.  My conclusion was she knew what to do and was not scared, just ornery.

2. A different mare started to move over on the same kid in a stall when he was feeding her.  She weighed 1200 lbs, he weighed 60.  I made him a 2x4 with a blunt nail on each end.  The stick was just wider than him.  I had him hold it horizontal when he went in next to her.  I cautioned him not to hit the mare, but let her move into the stick.  A couple of lessons taught her not to more over on him.  She was just trying to assert dominance.

In the case of a shying horse, they aren't trying to be bad, they are just scared.  Calm reassurance and repetition are what is needed, not pain.

Ed
Ed & Wendy Hauser
2994 Mittower Road
Victor, MT 59875