[RC] Follow up to clinic post - Chris Paus

It's been a horsey weekend... Had two new distance
riding students start yesterday. I think they'll be
fun to work with.

Today, I had a little bit of time and took Ali out for
a ride. She's the mare I took to the clinic last
weekend where they had the horsey  haunted house...I
worked with her today in my own way and she was
fabulous...

We got a lot of rain last night, so there are puddles
everywhere. She was reluctant to cross a puddle in the
back yard, so that gave me something to work on with
her!

We went down the road to our neighbor's vacant cow
pasture where there's a lovely creek with several good
places for crossing.

She had never been in that pasture before so it was
brand new. She handled it very well. There were
neighbor kids and dogs, my dogs, kids on bikes, etc.
and of course THE CREEK!

Unlike at the "clinic" last week, I gave her time to
examine this obstacle and figure out what to do. A
couple of times she became a little alarmed, but then
stopped and sized up the situation. I like to work
within a horse's comfort zone on obstacles. I just sat
on her and let her relax and encouraged her and
praised her. Pretty soon, she dropped her head and
crossed the creek! And the good girl, she didn't leap
it, she walked through it nicely.

We did that three times and I figured that was enough.
She was a good girl, did new things today. I stopped
by at the neighbors with her to say hi and then we
went home. She was awesome!

I feel better now knowing that I didn't blow her mind
at the clinic last weekend. And she showed me again
that she's NOT a spooky horse and she has a lot of
heart and will try new things for me. I just know that
as this mare gets more and more confidence, she's
going to be really awesome!

She got lots of atta girls and BOSS when we got home!

chris

=====
"A good horse makes short miles," George Eliot

Chris and Star

BayRab Acres
http://pages.prodigy.net/paus
There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt