Re: [RC] how hi to tie - rides2far

Those of us who have also done NATRC can tell you the proper
length

Personally, I don't think there's an exact proper length and would resent
someone dictating one. I'll admit though that I have seen some very
careless people for whom any advice would have been an improvement. Some
horses never get a foot over, and then there's the ones who lift a foot
when they eat or paw who will. I will tie accordingly.

A trick I saw to get more slack for a pawer was to run your lead rope
through the ring and then down to a weight. You can put a knot in the
rope on the horse's side of the ring so the weight isn't always pulling
down but you can have a foot or so between the knot and the weight that
lets the horse get some extra slack to lay down etc. I still say for the
pawers it's best to feed them from a bucket on the side of the trailer
and a hay bag. Some just have to do things with their feet when they eat.

By the way, the gate latches that consist of a horizontal ring with a
hook under it work well on the side of the trailer as bucket mounts. I
put them where a bucket can rest on the fender and have the handle hooked
through the mount.

Angie

Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
Just because someone tells you that your horse isn't "fit" for
endurance...doesn't mean it isn't, it just means your horse isn't fit to be
"their" endurance horse! Go for it, you never know what you'll accomplish
with that "saddle horse" or "trail horse" of YOURS!
~ Darlene Anderson - DPD Endurance