Fw: [RC] To geld or not to geld - Beth Bliss

I too bred a BLM mare who was wild for 9 years to an endurance type Arab 18 years ago.  I got a colt and gelded him at 7 or 8 months if I remember correctly.

Since then, he has made me a believer in this cross, and I even joke(?) that there should be a Mustab registry.  The barn where I bred my mare stated that he was the best looking cross they had produced.  A couple of other people that met him during CTR rides in region 6 decided to produce some of the mustang/Arab cross for themselves.  My situation prevented me from ever breeding my mare again.

The BLM mare is 32 this year and my 5 year old granddaughter rides her. The dear old horse keeps up with us for hours at a time.  We do have to slow down for her.  When I took her to have her teeth done this year, she needed almost nothing, has all her teeth, and only 3 were cupping.

Despite my personal feelings about this, I cannot guess what amount of people might consider breeding to a "Mustab".

Whatever your decision, I hope you and your husband enjoy your new colt.

Beth Bliss

2) what are the chances of anyone wanting to breed their mare to a half arab/half mustang stallion.  This does assume 2 things ? that his demeanor is always tractable and that I find no significant conformation flaws.

 The most important plan is that he is to become my husband?s next endurance horse in a few years.

Opinions please!