Re: [RC] To geld or not to geld - heidi

I haven't totally decided to geld him and I think if I do geld him that
I would want to wait until he is about 18 months.

So the 2 things I am asking for opinions on are 1) what is typical
(understanding they all vary) for a colt to discover girls and 2) what
are the chances of anyone wanting to breed their mare to a half
arab/half mustang stallion.  This does assume 2 things - that his
demeanor is always tractable and that I find no significant conformation
flaws.

So far what I am seeing in his development is that he will have big
strong legs, a powerful rear end (not as big as his mom's though!), a
very nice arab head and really exceptional behavior.  If there is just
no logic to anyone breeding to him (other than myself as 2 of my mares
would potentially work well with him) then I won't bother with the issue
and get him cut as soon as it becomes logical.  The most important plan
is that he is to become my husband's next endurance horse in a few
years.

Opinions please!

Other than using him to breed a few foals for yourself, there really is no
reason to keep him as a stallion--and a LOT of reasons not to!

Many colts are fertile by 8-10 months AND interested in the mares.  I
can't begin to count the number of times I've seen mares in foal to a colt
that age that was just running out with them.  (And you may not see a lot
of overt interest--one dark night one of the girls will just talk him into
it.)

And if you do plan to geld him, there is no reason to leave him to 18
months--and LOTS of reasons to geld him sooner!  1)  Why would you ever
WANT him to become interested in mares and learn some behaviors you'd just
as soon he didn't learn?  2)  Statistically, early-gelded colts grow as
much as 1-2 inches taller than ungelded controls--so if you want a bit
more height, the sooner the better.

Personally, if he were mine, if you can feel both testicles (not necessary
to see them hanging down--just feel them), I'd schedule the gelding as
soon as your vet can work him in!

Heidi

REAL endurance is eating egg salad sandwiches for 3 days straight!
~ Heidi Sowards