[RC] headed north (to Brazil) - Stephanie Teeter

Just a quick note, I´ll write more later with final story on Pinamar and
Argentina and a few more photos - of the Mar 20 race, and more gauchos and
criollos :)

While at Pinamar, the FEI official,  Elizabeth Schelle asked if I´d be
interested in riding in Brazil in two weeks, there´s a ride south of Sao Paulo,
a 1-day 80km, and a 2-day 160 km FEI ride. Well I thought about it for about a
millionth of a second and said YES! I´ve been able to make arrangements,  had
to deal with the Brazilian consulate, they are mad at the US for changing their
policy to requiring Brazilians to get a visa (and fingerprints) to enter the
US, so they tripled the cost of a Brazilian visa (only for the US) now and make
it fairly difficult. So now a visa is in the works, and I have a flight to Sao
Paulo on Friday, and will stay with Elizabeth for a few days and then Henrique
Garcia (whom I met in Canada in 1998 when he rode one of Lari Shea´s Orlov
crosses in the Pan American pre-ride, and later in the PanAms in 99. He also
helped me in Compiegne when I first arrived, a great friend. He has arranged a
horse for me to ride in the 1-day 80km, and I will help his barn (they´re
bringing 10 horses) on the 2nd day. Can´t wait! In return he hopes to come to
Idaho to ride.

Argentina... what can I say. I absolutely love it here, the people, the
country, the heritage. I´m off to lunch now, and then to the thoroughbred farm
of Miguel´s twin brother (Santiago) for a tour with Celina. then back here to
Buenos Aires (I´m currently at Miguels and Maiko´s office ´Centro do
Hematologia y Oncologia - Pavlovsky´ ) to finish my visa application, and then
back tomorrow to pick up the visa... they don´t make it easy!

Yesterday Mercedes Tapia (she rode one of Claudia´s horses at the WEC in Jerez)
took me on a tour of La Republica - one of the most important breeding and
training centers for criollos. a most amazing place. Mercedes has been training
and performing with the criollos for the past 10 years and gave me a video of
one of the big criollo-gauco show performances which we watched last night.
incredible horsemanship. great dreams :)

luego!

Steph

have to join a gym or buy frilly outfits to get some
fitness.  A decent set of shoes and a 15 minute dismount here and there
will help.
~  Jon K. Linderman, Ph.D., FACSM, Assistant Professor of Health and Sport
Science, University of Dayton