Re: [RC] Thinkin' about trail training - heidi

Chris, you REALLY covered most of the good points in your post, but I
will add that I think it is really important that a young horse either
have turnout in
rough terrain, or be taken out on a rugged trail from an early age, both
being
ponied and running loose following.  This is essential for developing a
riding
animal that has a good feel for the ground and where it's feet are.  A
horse that
is not surefooted, and does not figure it out over time is NOT one I am
going to
keep

I'd have to add genetics to the list.  Some of the most agile horses I've
EVER ridden spent most of their lives on flat land or in confinement prior
to my getting them, but they had the natural athleticism to just go out
and do it.  You can take a "pretty good" horse and improve on him with
turnout, but it is even better to start with one that has that ability
bred in.

One of the most agile horses on our place is a stallion that was living in
a box stall doing nothing but breeding mares when we got him at age 15.
He has the ability to cover virtually any terrain at any speed with a
rider on board and do it smoothly with always a foot under him, no matter
how rocky, how brushy, or how perpendicular.  But then given his breeding,
I would have expected something like that.

Heidi

They're athletes! This is a partnership between horse and rider - we don't
have any jockeys out there, just pals and partners. We'd allow a rider with
a broken foot, a sore back and a nasty cold to compete - but we would never
let a horse in a similiar condition hit the trail.
~ Dr. Barney Flemming DVM