Re: [RC] poison apple - heidi

Hi. I was wondering something. I know about the seeds in apples having
some  cianide in them and that people should avoid eating them. What
about horses?  How much is too much? I gave 2 apples a day (one per
feeding) for many months  with no problem whatsoever. I get the boxes of
bruised apples from the grocery  store so it's cheap to feed them.
Someone my husband knows said their vet said  not to feed apples to
horses and if you do, to only feed them one apple a  month!! Huh? Mine
aren't dead, yet. What's up with that? Any comments especially  from a
vet out there in Ridecampville?

Yes, there are bits of cyanide in the seeds/pits of most fruits, including
apples.  But the amounts are SOOO small that a couple of apples a day
aren't going to hurt a thing.

The biggest concern with feeding apples is the possibility of a horse
choking on a large chunk--primarily a concern for the hoggy horses that
want to inhale their food.  This can be alleviated by cutting the apple up
a bit.

Heidi

There is no better way to see the world than from the back of a horse.
~  Teddy Roosevelt