[RC] beet pulp, turkeys, and common endurance misconceptions - Agilbxr

Ok, bought my first bag of beet pulp.  I specifically asked for shredded beet pulp/no molasses please.  Got it home, and found they'd given me the kind with molasses.  Sigh... So, after careful deliberation, I'm going to use this bag to get the nag used to it, then buy the non-molasses type after, if I have to order it myself from the manufacturer.  So, I open up the bag, and never having seen beet pulp before, kind of wondered if my horse would eat it.  It looks like big cat nip.  I took two cups of beet pulp, and put a lot of water in a bucket (I've read the squirrel story and realized is soaked up a lot of water...ya'll weren't kidding!), added a handfull of sweet feed and a couple of alfalfa cubes, and let it soak while I went riding.

Came back from my ride, tied my horse up, pulled his tack, hosed him down, and went into the feed room for my bucket of beet pulp.  Imagine my surprise when I get in there to find the two turkeys that live at our barn have tipped over the bucket of beet pulp and are happily munching away.  Does beet pulp fatten turkeys too??  It's probably a good thing these guys are pets.  Apparently they liked it cause I had to pick them up and move them...and they weigh a ton.  Alpine liked his beet pulp too.  Yay!

As for commen endurance misconceptions, there is a lady who boards her 4 arabs at this barn.  She has raised halter arabs, and if you ask her she'll tell you she knows everything about arabs.  And give you the history of her four (which by my standards, are nice horses, but spoiled, fat, and prone to bucking).  She informed my Saturday, after looking at my Paso and telling me he was plain, then asking what I did with him (I said I was training for endurance), that her horses would NEVER do endurance.  Maybe competitive trail because they actually use veterinarians and check them, but not endurance.  Endurance riders just try to kill their horses by running as fast as they can, and she doens't understand why someone doesn't do something about it.  Sigh...  I shook my head and wandered back to my beet pulp.

Juli and Alpine (beet pulp is yummy, but I don't like it dry)