Re: [AERC-Members] [RC] Drug testing - detection and sample size - heidi

I like the idea of random during the ride testing, but I also
like the idea of holding the chosen horses at rides end
until a sample can be taken.

One thing I don't like about the CA testers is that they test DURING the
ride.  Nothing to prevent someone from saying gee, I've already been
tested, I can help my horse out a little on the last loop.  That isn't the
case with the AERC testers in other areas.  Second, I don't like the
testing interfering with a horse's and rider's routine during the ride.
There were testers at one of the CA rides I vetted, and I wasn't impressed
with their protocols at all.

That said, just listing a horse as negative because he won't pee is a real
copout.  It is tough post-ride to get a great many horses to pee because
they are all at least a little bit dehydrated.  And while blood isn't as
good a sample as urine, it is better than no sample at all.  The AERC
testers I've observed in the NW have waited a set period of time for the
horse to pee, and if it doesn't comply, they resort to a blood sample.

Heidi

The very essence of our sport is doing the trail as quickly as practicable,
while keeping one's horse fit to continue.  Taking the clock out of the
equation makes it another sport altogether.  The challenge is how to keep
the sport what it is while honing our skills (both as riders and as those
in control roles) in detecting where "the edge" is for each horse so that
we don't cross it.
~  Heidi Smith